Probably, to disentangle some entangled discussions, we should differentiate between the (an?) Oath of the Abyss, and the Oath of the Magister Templi.
It is commonly misstated that the Oath of the Abyss is, "I will interpret every phenomenon as a particular dealing of God with my soul." That, in fact, is one of 11 clauses of the Oath of the Magister Templi. Here is the full oath of the 8=3 grade as published by Crowley. (Note that each line applies to a sephirah. It is basically a quintessential expression of the G.D.'s 5=6 oath.)
1. I, ___________, a member of the Body of God, hereby bind myself on behalf of the Whole Universe, even as we are now physically bound unto the cross of suffering:
2. that I will lead a pure life, as a devoted servant of the Order:
3. that I will understand all things:
4. that I will love all things:
5. that I will perform all things and endure all things:
6. that I will continue in the Knowledge and Conversation of my Holy Guardian Angel
7. that I will work without attachment
8. that I will work in truth:
9. that I will rely only upon myself:
10. that I will interpret every phenomenon as a particular dealing of God with my soul.
And if I fail herein, may my pyramid be profaned, and the Eye closed to me.
Love is the law, love under will.
Yours in L.V.X.,
Jim Eshelmanwww.facebook.com/jamesaeshelmanThe deaf can be forgiven for not believing in music, but not for insisting that it can't possibly exist.